Keep your essentials packed so you are prepared.
- Navigation: Map, compass, possibly a GPS receiver. Keep in mind that a GPS unit does not replace a map and compass.
- Sun protection: Sunscreen, lip balm, sunglasses, sun-shielding clothing.
- Insulation: Jacket or vest; hat, gloves and extra layers, if conditions require.
- Illumination: Headlamp or flashlight, with extra batteries.
- First-aid supplies: Pre-assembled kit; assorted bandages, disinfectant.
- Fire: Matches, fire starter, possibly a lighter.
- Tools, repair items: Knife or multi-tool; tent-pole sleeve; duct tape strips (on water bottle).
- Nutrition: Extra day's supply of food, spare trail mix, energy bars and gels.
- Hydration: Water bottle or reservoir; water treatment system (filter, purifier, chemicals).
- Emergency shelter: Tarp, bivy sack or reflective blanket.