Note: This list is only provided as a reference, and I not personally endorsing any of the products listed below:
- Cacti: a
network graphing solution designed to harness the power of RRDTool's
data storage and graphing functionality. Cacti supports a fast poller,
advanced graph templating, multiple data acquisition methods, and user
management features out of the box.
- Note: Cacti can be a better graphing solution to complement to OpenNMS.
- Dig: An open source multi-platform command-line DNS troubleshooting utility.
- Note: This tool is not available for individual download its part of the client utilities of the BIND project.
TCP/IP address management (IPAM) software and tracking tool,
simplifying the administration of your IP address space. IPplan goes
beyond TCPIP address management including DNS administration,
configuration file management, circuit management and storing of
- MRTG: Monitors SNMP network devices and creates reports showing how much traffic has passed through each interface.
An open source network and system monitoring and notification system
that enables organizations to identify and resolve IT infrastructure
- Nmap: An open source multi-platform command-line utility for network exploration or security auditing.
The official Nmap Security Scanner GUI. It is a multi-platform free and
open source application which aims to make Nmap easy for beginners to
use while providing advanced features for experienced Nmap users.
- ntop: ntop is a multi-platform network traffic probe that shows the network usage, similar to what the popular top Unix command does (based on libpcap).
- OCS Inventory: Inventories all devices connected on a network.
Point OpenNMS at a network and it will discover the network services
being provided. Or, if you prefer a fine-grained control over what is
being managed, opt to provision devices manually.
- Performance Analysis of Logs (PAL) Tool: A powerful tool that reads in a performance monitor counter log and analyzes it using known thresholds.
- PHP Weathermap: Weathermap is a network visualization tool, to take data you already have and show you an overview of your network in map form. The tool has builtin support for RRD, MRTG (RRD and old log-format), and tab-delimited text files. Other sources are via plugins or external scripts.
- Note: PHP Weathermap can compliment other tools such as Cacti or OpenNMS.
- RRDtool: An open source data logging and graphing system for time series data. RRDtool can be easily integrated in shell scripts, perl, python, ruby, lua or tcl applications.
- Tcpdump: Allows the capture the network traffic on a network card and the viewing of the packets and frames in real time.
- HAProxy: The Reliable, High Performance TCP/HTTP Load Balancer
- OpenVPN: A multi-platform VPN service.
open source multi-platform network protocol analyzer, that lets you
capture and interactively browse the traffic running on a computer
- AMANDA: A backup solution that allows the IT administrator to set up a backup server.
- Openfiler: A NAS/SAN appliance or IP storage gateway, fronted by a web based management user interface.
- FreeNAS: An
open source NAS (Network-Attached Storage) distribution based on
FreeBSD, supporting the following protocols: CIFS (samba), FTP, NFS,
TFTP, AFP, RSYNC, Unison, iSCSI (initiator and target) and UPnP.